Wednesday 23 February 2011

Welcome

This is my first blog, so will be added to over the next few days. I discovered from the Green Party House of Lords Statement booklet that my contact details had been omitted in error and thought it best to offer a contact point for anyone who wishes to e-mail me directly with questions or endorsements.

As I get to grips with the options, more features will become available to you.

For now I would simply like to offer you the opportunity to ask questions and get to know more about me before casting your vote.

I will be following this 'Welcome' post with posts on the following:
Who am I and why politics?
What is the House of Lords all about?
My casual and formal work experience.
How do I propose to work and function in the second House?
How does the single parent manage?

and much more.

My daughter and I are currently preparing for 'Spring Conference'; this is the first conference to have fallen in a school holiday and not clash with work for a long time. My daughter, Hannah, will be helping in the creche - a lovely twist in that she used to be a toddler in the Green Party Creche herself!

I shall be running for the Disputes Resolution Committee and I will be scheduled for hustings. I do not have the timetable yet, but do come a long and ask questions there if you wish.

I look forward to catching up with old friends and maybe meet some of you there.

Do visit our Norwich Green Party stall and feel free to stop me, (I'll be wearing my name badge prominently), and ask questions.

Many thanks,
Jessica Goldfinch

5 comments:

  1. I'd rather see the Greens at the forefront of fighting the cuts and much more vocally and visibly publicly/politically backing unions in disputes such as Vestas etc, instead of this daft middle class twattery about the Lords.

    Just my opinion though. You might actually abolish the House of Lords. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Steve and Cromercrox,
    thank you for your comments, although Steve's seems to have been 'wiped' in 'my view' - not by me.

    Steve - do read my post to come, asap, about 'abolition'; I'm not quite in your camp, but certainly for disolution, reformation and overhaul in line with GP policy.

    Also, I'll be posting the answers to members' questions.

    Thanks,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is Steve's comment, which is showing in my 'inbox', but not on here:
    "I'd rather see the Greens at the forefront of fighting the cuts and much more vocally and visibly publicly/politically backing unions in disputes such as Vestas etc, instead of this daft middle class twattery about the Lords."

    Just my opinion though. You might actually abolish the House of Lords. Or not.

    (see above for reply)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was lighting candles tonight and noticed the old box of 'Swan Vestas' I was using. It reminded me that I nelgected the rest of Steve's comments about cuts and Vestas.
    Fighting cuts - I understand that the organisation of protests is carried out on a local basis. Certainly in Norwich our councillors have been busy organising or liaising with other groups to mobilise protests against the cuts.
    If you mean national presence, I would argue that there is a presence of Greens at most, if not all, national level protests. Perhaps we are not as 'visible' as you would prefer, but I have seen enough archive footage to suggest that Greens form part of protests and thankfully don't take them over, which would alienate other involved groups.
    Vestas - from what I know Vestas reduced their workforce by 3000 over Scandanavia and moved to Spain and the Isle of Wight plant closed in 2009, vigorously opposed by workers and with union backing. I am not up to date with what is going on at present.

    ReplyDelete